Home

Parish Information

The History of Bodenham
Photographs of Bodenham
Local Information & Maps
Find Us
Local Amenities & Attractions
Local Services
Notice Boards
Future Events
Parish Newsletters
Parish Plan
Neighbourhood Plan
Parish Council Documents
BFPG Documents

Parish Council

Welcome
Members
Events
Freedom of Information
Code of Conduct
Standing Orders
Council Documents

Bodenham Flood
Protection Group

Welcome
History
Committee/Key Contacts
Events and Meetings
BFPG Documents
Photographs

Parish Hall

Welcome
Committee
Facilities and Rates
Regular Activities
Events

Local Businesses

Local Businesses

Clubs and Societies

Clubs and Societies

Local Charities

Charities

Bodenham Chapel

Bodenham Chapel

Bodenham Church

Welcome to St Michael's and All Angels Church
The History of the Church
List of Services
Special Events

Bodenham School

St Michael's Church of England Primary School

St Michael and All Angels' Church, Bodenham

St Michaels and All Angels Church, Bodenham

The History of the Church

The Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels was originally constructed circa 1200 and altered and extended in the early 14th Century with further alterations late 14th Century to early 15th Century. The chancel was rebuilt and shortened circa 1750. The church was restored in 1835 and again in 1890-91 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. The ceiling of the chancel is noteworthy for its beautiful ribbed vaulting.

There is a tomb recess in the north wall of the chancel from the early 14th Century with the reclining figures of a woman and child. Above is an obelisk-shaped memorial to Rev Josiah Smart died 1769, by T Symonds of Hereford, a Gothic-style memorial to Henrietta Thorneycroft, died 1844, and a sarcophagus memorial with a swagged urn relief to Nicholas Mann, died 1811, by Preece of Hereford. On the south side of the chancel is a brass inscription panel with a moulded stone surround to John Pember, died 1677, and also another memorial with a festooned urn relief to Wilson Bewicke, died 1799. Also ledger slabs in north porch, one to Lily ? , died 1701-2 and several later ones. See 'Listed Buildings' entry [click here].

Freedom of Information | Terms | Accessibility

Website by Alpha Web Design